Chief Operations Officer
Overview of role
It is an exciting time to be at the leading edge of business in the fast moving environment of telecommunications. Rapid changes, increased competition, enormous technological advancement matched by equivalent business opportunity are all part of Botswana Telecommunications Corporation Limited’s (BTC) current reality. Add to this a drive for major commercialisation and you have a highly complex and challenging setting which makes up the context for the COO role.
This executive post oversees and drives performance in the vibrant commercial divisions within BTC and is also responsible for driving the company’s transformation programme. This results in a business focused position providing proactive and effective direction in; driving and measuring performance, embedding a commercial culture, implementing best practice models of customer service, impelling operational efficiency and delivery and contributing to a legacy which will be indicative of an institution embarking on a new era.
- To support the Managing Director and Strategy GM in developing a comprehensive business strategy for BTC that will create and deliver shareholder value.
- To provide sponsorship of BTC-wide change programmes within the framework of an agreed business strategy and to meet operational targets for return on investment, profitability and customer satisfaction.
- To assume delegated powers of authority in the absence of the Managing Director.
- To lead in areas of ensuring quality service delivery, corporate performance measurement, management and control of capital expenditure, relations with Government and relations with international industry bodies.
- To design and implement business strategies, plans and procedures that will create and deliver shareholder value.
- Ensuring quality processes to implement key business strategies and monitor operational effectiveness on a day-to-day basis.
- Using relevant metrics and measures to routinely monitor progress against target and take appropriate managerial action to ensure targets are met or exceeded
- To establish policies that promote company culture and vision
- To oversee commercial operations and procedures of the company along with securing the functionality of business to drive extensive and sustainable growth.
- To provide professional inputs to the creation and maintenance of a BTC strategy that will create and deliver shareholder value.
- Acting as BTC sponsor for key transformation programmes, working closely with Programme Office, ensuring their alignment with business strategy and allocation of adequate operational resources to support them.
- Presenting compelling business cases for capital investment
- Using relevant metrics and measures to routinely monitor CAPEX against approved budget in the implementation of projects
- Managing and maintaining effective working relationships with Government, suppliers, regulatory and international authorities ensuring that the BTC position is well represented and fully understood.
- Ensure full compliance with regulatory, legal and commercial requirements.
Requirements, Education and Experience
- Business administration or engineering degree or equivalent qualification.
- 10 years’ experience of executive-level management in a successful private telecommunications company in operating an emerging market environment.
- 5 year’s relevant executive-level experience of fixed-mobile convergence strategies.
- Master’s degree and membership of a relevant professional association will be an added advantage
Closing date: 25th February 2017
Please go to www.hrmc.co.bw to submit your application.
Publication end date
- Bachelors Degree