Director Technical Services (Domestic Taxes) - BURS
To plan, develop and review policies and procedures that will deliver professional technical advice and assistance; issue rulings and directives to maximise collection of tax revenue in accordance with the provisions of tax legislation and international standards of tax administration; initiate and promoted the development of bi-lateral and multilateral tax agreements which will optimise tax revenue for Botswana, as well as facilitate investment and international trade, thereby contributing to the achievement of BURS' objectives and strategies.
1. Strategic and Resource Management
Initiates, develops and recommends the adoption of policies and strategies which will maximise tax revenue and promote the efficient, professional and cost effective implementation of tax administration interventions in accordance with BURS’ organisational policies and strategies and thereby contribute to the achievement of revenue targets, reduction in the tax gap.
- Reviews tax policies and procedures; develops and recommends the adoption of policies and procedures which will enhance revenue collection and promote voluntary compliance.
- Reviews operational processes and procedures and developments; ensures implementation of detailed processes and procedures which will ensure efficient utilisation of resources and the conduct of professional interventions.
- Develops and manages implementation of approved financial and manpower budgets for the division to ensure the efficient utilisation of available resources.
- Participates in the development of overall tax administration and revenue collection strategies for
- BURS to maximise revenue and compliance.
- Reviews developments in tax administration and makes recommendations for the adoption of interventions and innovations which will enhance the efficiency of BURS.
2. Management of Technical Services
Establishes and monitors the implementation of programmes and interventions which will maximise revenue and voluntary compliance and the achievement of divisional objectives and targets, through the provision of technical services.
- Establishes operational procedures to provide an efficient operational framework for operations consistent with international best practice.
- Meets with taxpayers and resolves issues through the promotion of voluntary compliance
3. Professional Interventions and Establishment of Standards
Provides professional advice in a wide area of tax administration issues particularly related to compliance and promotes professional standards of tax administration.
- Monitors developments in tax administration and compliance and recommends the adoption of interventions as appropriate.
- Liaises with neighbouring and international tax authorities and regimes on matters of common interest in order to protect and promote the interests of BURS.
- Liaises with key stakeholders such as business community and professional bodies
4. International Treaties, Agreements and External Relations
Represents BURS on issues relating to cross border tax issues; participates in negotiations relating to tax agreements and the recovery of cross border tax liabilities.
- Encourages the adoption of professional codes of conduct and preservation of confidentiality in tax
- matters in accordance with international practice.
- Facilitates the exchange of information, mutual agreement procedures and other competent authority
- work pursuant to international tax agreements.
- Facilitates and manages BURS’ participation at regional and international tax forums such as United Nations, OECD, CATA, ATAF, IMF and SADC.
- Facilitates participation at statutory committees such as IFSC Certification Committee, Innovation Hub and Manufacturing Development Approval Order inspections
5. Objections and Appeals
Liaises with the Director, Legal Services in matters relating to legal interpretation of provisions of revenue laws and appeals cases pending before the Board of Adjudicators and the Courts.
- Reviews appeal cases filed before the Board of Adjudicators and makes recommendations in respect of BURG’ position.
- Examines cases of objections lodged by taxpayers as referred by the Commissioner, Operations and makes appropriate recommendations.
- Review and provide guidance on the implementation of decisions on appeals cases
- Review decisions from the Board of Adjudicators and the Courts and make recommendations for further appeal or change in legislation
6. Rulings and Directives
- Reviews drafts and issues rulings with respect to reorganisations, mergers and restructures and pension funds, and all other tax related matters and areas.
- Coordinates the systemic changes and drafting of new forms in terms of amendments to the tax legislation and dissemination of the same
- Reviews draft internal assessment instructions and Departmental Guidance notes for proper implementation of various provisions of the Income Tax Act, Value Added Tax, and the Capital Transfer Tax Act and issues Guidance Notes and Directives on behalf of the Commissioner, Domestic Taxes in accordance with delegated authority.
- Reviews recommendations for issuing of tax status certificates in respect of companies registered under IFSC regulations and issues rulings in respect of such applications.
- Makes recommendations for granting of exemptions and clearances in respect of various regulations aimed at facilitating and promoting investment and trade
7. Human Resource Management
Ensures the effective utilisation of human resources and optimisation of staff potential through interventions which include:
- Identifying skills, knowledge and experience gaps to align team development needs to business/functional unit goals. Creates learning opportunities through knowledge-sharing and cross- skilling initiatives.
- Clarifying roles and responsibilities of departmental teams; managing and allocating human resource to month-to-month projects and tasks.
- Developing junior management talent by using development processes to increase employees’ competence levels and support career and professional growth.
- Leading change initiatives at functional level. Translates change imperatives into projects, goals, priorities and contingencies and explains link between BURS strategy and the need for change.
- Monitoring and enhancing the performance of teams by ensuring that support functions and processes are in place.
Requirements, Education and Experience
- A degree in Tax, Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Accounting, Law
- Full membership of an internationally recognised institute of professional accountants (ACCA, CIMA, CA, etc) or equivalent
- A relevant Post-graduate qualification will be an added advantage
- At least ten (10) years relevant post qualification experience in the accounting, audit, legal and tax administration profession, two (2) of which should have been at level of General Manager or equivalent.
- Team Leadership
- Extrenal Environmental Awareness
- Results Oriented
Closing date and application instructions
To apply please click here
Closing date for applications is 21st November 2018
Publication end date
- Bachelors Degree