Senior Sustainable Development and Environment Manager-Under Ground Mining
Debswana Diamond Company-Debswana Corporate Center would like to invite suitably qualified innovative, results oriented and self-driven individuals to apply for the position listed and described below and join a professional team driven by service excellence, where the demands of the business are met by encouraging team work and addressing the needs of the individual.
Senior Sustainable Development and Environment Manager provides strategic environmental and sustainability strategies,policies and best practice guidance to ensure an integrated,efficient and uniform approach to S&SD management in Debswana and to facilitate the delivery of the S&SD strategy.
- Develops Debswana 2050 Safety and Sustainable Development strategy, standards, requirement and guideline documents to ensure achievement of required strategy
- Leads the development of Environmental management programmes, policies and standards aligned with the overall Debswana Safety and Sustainable Development Strategy
- Defines Environmental Key Performance Indicators, sets targets and report on overall performance of S&SD indicators and associated risks
- Leads and collaborates with cross-functional teams and external stakeholders, to plan and scope the S&SD integration efforts related to delivery of strategy
- Develops overall Safety and Sustainable Development assurance plan to improve compliance to sustainability standards, provide assurance, track and report on performance (against Best Practice Principles/ Responsible Jewelry Council, Towards Sustainable Mining).
- Drives and embeds leading thinking and best practice around sustainability
- Responsible and accountable for conducting best practice identification, broad scanning activities, including legislative developments through providing input into the analysis and trending of emerging risks and opportunities.
- Complies internal and external Debswana Safety and Sustainable Development Reports and coordinate materiality determination aligned to corporate governance and integration of Global Reporting Initiative requirements (report to society, coordinate reporting to Board Sustainability Committee, Technical Committee, and Corporate Sustainability Committee).
- Defines,develops and manages a talent framework for the Safety and Sustainable Development discipline
- Evaluates,analyses, plans and coordinates implementation of programmes to address strategic and emerging environmental risks, SD issues and opportunities e.g. material stewardship, climate change, collaboration with government, research institutions and NGOs.
- Leads and collaborates with cross functional teams to design and deliver sustainable solutions and to implement corporate sustainability decisions,strategies and campaigns, e.g provide leadership, guidance and advice in the implementation and application of the Sustainability Value Approach (SVA).
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with all key stakeholders and partners to ensure achievement of business objectives
- Drives continual improvement through best practice identification and innovative solutions;incorporate sustainability technology developments into the Debswana technology roadmap.
- Degree in Environmental Management or equivalent
- Ten (10) years relevant sustainability management experience in a mining or similar environment, including exposure to management systems implementation, risk management and translating principles into practical standards, processes and guidelines
- Exposure to managing Safety and Sustainable Development in an underground environment
Pre appointment Training
- Risk Management
- Incident investigation
- Implementation and Auditing of Management Systems (ISO/OHSAS 18001)
- Achievement Orientation
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Planning, Coordination and Execution
- Impact and Influence
- Concern for Safety, Health and the Environment
- Service Orientation
- Building Organisational Capability
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Environmental risk management
- Integrated risk management
- Managing related S&SD risks such as safety, occupational health and community
- Project management and SHE process mapping
- Operational Knowledge
- Knowledge of underground safety and environmental requirements
Closing date and application instructions
Only candidates who meet the above requirements need to apply by visiting us on http://www.debswana.com/careers to register and apply.
CLOSING DATE: 15 DECEMBER 2018
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.
Publication end date
- Bachelors Degree
- Environmental Science